Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Edinburgh Festival, Stadium Gigs and the Whole Terrorist Issue

Posting this from the Edinburgh Festival. So far we have seen three shows, the best by far being The Family - Semianyki, a show of Russian clowns with overtones of Edward Scissorhands and the Munsters, very funny physical clowning with dark and serious overtones.

I was disappointed to discover that Radiohead had sold out - they are playing tonight at the Meadowview Stadium. However, I am not sure that such a big venue would be the ideal place to see such a serious band. I have never found those kind of enormous gigs to be entirely satisfying. Often you can't even see the band - they are tiny blobs on a distant stage and you end up watching the entire gig on an enormous tv screen - the only difference between that and home is that you get leg ache and you can't get to the loo! (and you pay £37 for the privelige!)

On a more serious note we flew up to Edinburgh this time and it was with trepidation that we arrived at the airport not really knowing what to expect in the way of security checks after the recent terrorist alerts. Suitcase check in was normal, I had to put my lip balm into my suitcase as I was told no cosmetics or liquids were allowed on the plane. Then it was through to security where we were asked to remove our shoes, I had my bag searched. fair enough - but what annoyed me was the woman in front of us went through security with a see through bag containing roll on deoderant. She was not stopped, noone noticed and when they asked her if she had any liquids, gels or cosmetics she didn't declare it.

Now here's a dilemma. I chose not to say anything. She was just a woman with her kids. But ever since it has bugged me. Should I have said something? It would have caused trouble, she would have been annoyed, it would have been confiscated, there might hve been a hold up. I would have worried about bumping into her in the street after. But morally I wonder if I should have spoken up. That's the problem with the whole terrorist issue isn't it. It has made us all paranoid and suspicious (as well as stirring up racial unrest!) Is it just the terrorists though or is it the way that the media deals with the issues? I'm not sure but I know that I don't like it!





No comments: