Saturday, August 20, 2005

How does one create creativity?

How does one create creativity? I occasionally feel like all the creative juices have been sucked out of me and it is not a great feeling!

There are many things that I would like to accomplish creatively: finish my recipe book, do a painting, make another animation, write a novel, write some more poetry etc.. Is my problem motivation or lack of creativity? Or are they one and the same thing?

"Often what you call procrastination, a lack of motivation or boredom is really just being trapped in the shell of your own comfort zone. Like a turtle, you pull inside and stop moving. Stop growing. Stop seeking. You rationalize your position with excuses and justifications and put a limit on it. You lock it up with a "guarantee" that consists of two extremely powerful words:"I can't". You paint yourself into a corner with your fears and inhibitions. You resist change.You avoid risk. Your senses are dull. You may feel as if you are suffocating. You notice the dull ache of emptiness. You feel paralyzed by your fears,real or imagined! Pretty soon, living inside the safety and comfort of your shell, devoid of challenge or change, becomes a habit just like brushing your teeth in the morning or tying your shoes. Easy, effortless,predictable, familiar! You've retired from the excitement and challenge that purposeful living offers. Your comfort zone has become your liability zone! As W.H. Auden once said, "Home to supper and to bed. Shall we like this when we are dead?"

Quote courtesy of Creatvityforlife.com

Right today I am going to step outside of my comfort zone and go and do something creative!

2 comments:

Joolz said...

I think it is sometimes really hard to be creative. In the 1960s, in school education, teachers often asked kids to just write poetry, or a story or respond to music etc. And this put many kids off forever as it makes people feel inadequate if they cannot automatically emote like that. I think that it takes a lot to light a spark, for some people more than others.

Julia said...

yes I agree - hard to be creative on tap! wish I could be sometimes though!