Thursday, November 11, 2004

Thursday 11th November 2004 - Music....

Thinking about the Beatles. My boyfriend was talking about watching "A Hard Days Night"and I started thinking about the 1960s. I remeber being really impressed by the "All you need is Love" film when I was younger. I used to really wish that I had had my formative years in the 1960s - there was so much exciting stuff going on then - peace protests, hippies, music festivals, even things like satelite link-ups were new and exciting. The world seemed to be full of possibility. I missed out on punk by a couple of years as well as I was 10 in 1976...

No my formative years were the 1980s and 90s. I was one of Thatcher's children. What did we get, my generation? We got disco, we got gangster rap, we got Salt and Peppa, we got Whitney, Michael and Celine, we got acid house, we got the heavy metal revival, we got brit-pop (which was better), we got initials - KLF, Run DMC, TLC, ABC, we got New Romantics and Bananarama, we got big hair and shoulder pads, Spandau Ballet and Adam and the Ants - we didn't do deep. We got boy bands and girl power, Fatboy Slim and Robbie and Kylie, we got Geri and Britney, we got popstars, soapstars, we got wonderwall and material girl, we got Christina and Ricky, we got grunge, we got shooting and hanging, we got the Austrailians, we got Live Aid and Glastonbury, comebacks and rehab. We got the eighties and nineties, Thatcherism and New Labour - we got the bum deal.....

No comments: