A friend and I were talking recently about what music we might want played at our funeral. For instance would you have your favourite music? Would you have something befitting the occasion? Or would you be tempted to have something fitting but slightly ironic (or even very ironic) - or would that be too much for people to bear?
If you wanted to be right over the top you could just play songs about death like these:
Top Ten Songs about Death
1) Dead Man Walking - David Bowie
2) Dead in the Water - David Gray
3) Pretty Girls Make Graves - the Smiths
4) Don't you Grieve After Me - Roy Harper
5) Highgate Cemetery - Roy Harper
6) Suffer Little Children - The Smiths
7) How to be Dead - Snow Patrol
8) Lady D'abanville - Cat Stevens
9) Kamikaze - P J Harvey
10) Knocking on Heavens Door - Bob Dylan
or of course you could have some over the top sentimental stuff like "Tender is the Night" by Blur, "Miss You" by the Rolling Stones or "It's over Now" by Cat Stevens.
It's a hard thing to choose just a few songs as I have so many favourites. David Bowie of course would have to be in there but which one?
Here is the list so far....
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Fascination (or Wild is the Wind) - David Bowie
Oh Sister (or Knocking on Heaven's Door) - Bob Dylan
Ramble on - Led Zeppelin (that would be a good one for the end!)
Train in Vain - The Clash
other possibilities are James Taylor, John Martin, UB40, Bob Marley, Coldplay, Deep Purple and Green Day.
Maybe I should make a cd to be played at my wake if I have one that would be fun, like being a posthumas dj.