Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Something Might Happen


I have just finished reading a really great novel - Something Might Happen by Julie Myerson, this is a sort of murder mystery set in Southwold in Suffolk, but it is so much more than that. It is a gripping and moving tale of the frailty and complexity of family life and human relationships and I found myself at times moved, disturbed, appalled and enthralled by it. At times I had to take my glasses off and cry. I would thoroughly recommend this if you want a good read. I remember reading Sleepwalking by Julie Myerson some years ago and while I did enjoy it I can see from this novel that her writing has improved in leaps and bounds since then. I just hope I can write such a compelling story some day.


2 comments:

theprovocativecynic said...

Read this a few years ago and parts of it occasionally still spring into my mind and make me shiver. Powerful, if understated stuff.

Have you read 'We have to talk about Kevin' by Lionel Shriver? Think you might enjoy.....

Julia said...

funny you should say that I very nearly ordered it from amazon a couple of days ago - wish I had now...