Thursday, April 20, 2006

Quark, Strangeness and charm

I very naughtily purchased some more music yesterday when I had said that I wasn't going to buy any more this year. but I was lured into HMV by the sale sign and was delighted to find that pearl Jam was in the sale along with Violater by Depeche Mode that I had almost bought last week. So you see it was fate it must have been...

Today I decided to clear out some of my old cassette tapes - you know the ones that hang around for years because you might listen to them sometime but of course you never do. First to exit were the ones that I now have on cd, then some that I don't really even like. I must confess I have kept one case full as they are ones i would like to get on cd one day. What I should really do is make a list and then chuck them out. I offered some to N to furthur his musical education but he wasn't even tempted by The Verve or Nirvana and he positively turned his nose up at the Smiths. Ah well you can't win em all. N was more interested in the stickers on the casstette case I was chucking out and his sage comment abot the whole clearing process was "some of these are really old, you'll regret it later".

Well there could be some truth in that but hopefully not, although I must confess that I have already changed my mind about one tape. It was "Quark, Strangeness and Charm" by Hawkwind, what a gem. I had forgotton just how good it is - it was my favourite Hawkwind album when I was a teenager and me and my friend Rae knew the words to "Spirit of the Age" by heart. I started playing it to N, who said "weird", and then I got so into it I had to listen to it all the way through. Spirit of the Age was my favourite track and it's not on the greatest hits import that I bought a few years ago so you can see why I have to keep it. In fact I may even have to get it on cd.....

No comments: