Friday, September 06, 2019

Minimalism Project - Free All Angels by Ash


A couple of years ago I started attempting to review all the albums that I owned. I got about four or five in and lost momentum. This year I intend to listen to every CD I own - and if I don't love it I will get rid of it. (read more about my minimalism project here) I am going to do mini reviews of the albums as I go.


Free All Angels - Ash (2001)

This is an album I bought three or four years ago in a sale and for some reason it never even made it out of its cellophane wrapper. Ash very much evoke the early 2000's for me - they have a very particular pop-punkish style that is very much of that time. Ash remind me a of quite a few other - some of their tracks are definitely almost pop-punk but others are more influenced by bands like The Happy Mondays and Oasis. I am surprised at just how many tracks are familiar - my top track, and probably their best known from this album, is Shining Light. Ash was one of those bands that were featured quite a lot on the soundtrack of Teachers - a TV programme that was really popular in the early 2000's and listening to this CD really made me want to rewatch it. Maybe it will be revived on Netflix eventually.

I thought this was a CD that was headed straight for the go pile but am finding it surprisingly enjoyable. Apparently this was in Q magazines top fifty albums of 2001. A keeper for now.


No comments: