Monday, March 26, 2007

Don't shop the Reaper


Long time - no blog.


Now I know I've posted about this before but what is it with shops and music? Today I went into Jarrolds (Jarrolds is Norwich's equivalent of Harrods but without the exotic produce and ice sculpture!) and the piped music was Blue Oyster Cult. Blue Oyster Cult! I was into heavy rock as a teenager in a big way and I can remember some parents throwing us out for being into bands like Led Zeppelin and Blue Oyster Cult. It was in NO way mainstream, and now years later here they are piping it round Jarrolds.


I'm not sure that that the Jarrolds generation really appreciates what that music is about - and does it aid or enhance their shopping experience? Or maybe it is aimed at my generation, the 40ish boys and girls, a bit of nostalgia to get us to linger within their retail walls a little longer and perhaps to part with a bit more money. I can't imagine that the old ladies in the tea shop really had any deep appreciation of "Don't fear the Reaper".

1 comment:

theprovocativecynic said...

This is weird. Although it's weirder that you notice - I think I phase out background music when shopping, at least when it's at a subdued volume, unlike in Cult and Topshop.

You are obviously a more observant shopper than I am - I am always too busy dodging the mad perfume-spraying cosmetic saleswomen in Jarrrolds to listen to the music.

Will pay more attention in future - although will be distraught if my favourite songs have become elevator music!